Recap From San Jose Del Cabo To La Paz

Buenos dias from La Paz! Made it safely in about 2:30 yesterday.  Looks like it’s going to be another beautiful day! I’m at the Costa Baja Marina. Didn’t have time to do any blogging on the way up due to that whole sailing thing so I’m going to recap here.

When I left San Jose on Tuesday morning I was expecting 15-20 kt winds and pretty calm seas. Once I got out of the bay and started making my way to Los Frailes I put the sails up and was sailing along about 5 kts in 15 kts and the seas were pretty calm. I saw what I think was some kind of small whales.

I was thinking cool this is going to be some great sailing. Up on the horizon I started seeing some white which I thought was more whales. As I got closer I could see it was white caps. I started dropping the sails and sure enough it’s blowing a steady 20-26 kts and the swell is about 2-3 feet stacked up in really short intervals. I’ve never had so much water coming over the top of the boat. I’m thinking why is it everytime I go out sailing I get conditions like this?!? Not a very pleasant ride at all but fortunately Los Frailes was only about 6 hrs away so it was comforting knowing that I wasn’t going to be stuck in these conditions for an indefinite amount of time. The boat handled it well and I finally made it to Los Frailes. There were several boats in the bay and this was the first time I anchored with other boats around. The wind was still blowing a bit and I didn’t get it set good on my first attempt but brought the anchor back up and was successful on my 2nd attempt. About this time the wind died down to nothing. I got the boat in order, cooked some dinner and sat out on the back and watched the beautiful sunset while listening to the manta rays I referred to in my Los Frailes post.

Woke up early the next morning to head out for Bahia de los Muertos and it was nothing like the day before. I had winds of 15 kts for about half the time and they dropped off after awhile so I motored on into los Muertos an hour or so before sunset. I found a good spot to anchor and dropped the hook and made some dinner and relaxed out on the back before heading to bed.

I woke up the next morning and though I hadn’t originally planned on staying the day it was such a beautiful bay and the weather was glorious so I decided to spend the day there and depart early the next morning. The first thing I did was get my mask and snorkel and dove in the water and inspected the boats bottom side. The water temp is about 72 degrees and it felt really good in the warm morning sun. There was a large school of colorful fry swimming around the boat checking me out. I’ve added a picture but it’s not the greatest shot.


My anchor


Baby fry

Then I started seeing the manta rays I had heard at Los Frailes leaping from the water and making a loud slapping sound. I saw manta rays doing this from time to time all the way up from San Jose.

I dropped the dinghy in the water and took a tour around the bay. There is actually a boat ramp and a restaurant on the north side of the bay and there are several large villas at certain points around it. There were people camping on the beach as well so though it’s remote it isn’t isolated. Actually got my first shot of Desiderata at anchor! The water is beautiful as you can see

After getting back on the boat I started noticing what I thought were fork tailed hawks congregating way up on the top of this large hill that sits out on the point. I assumed they were just riding the thermals. I’m guessing there were a couple of hundred of them. I turned my attention away and was taking pictures of some of the villas on shore and when I turned around I could see why they had been gathering up. They weren’t hawks though they were frigate birds and one of the fishing boats was tossing fish in the water to feed them. This went on for at least an hour or more. reIMG_0168

Here’s some pictures of the villas around the bay.

I’m not sure what this was but you can see where steps have been chiseled into the rock going into the water for something.reIMG_0211

It was really a nice relaxing day and pretty good taste of things to come I think. I got to bed early because if the winds were blowing I wanted to make sure I’d get into La Paz before dark. It was pitch dark when I got up at 4 am and headed out but this was my treat for being up and out on the water so early.

It was so calm out and I was thankful for not having to “work” so hard to get to where I was going. I was seeing dolphins and manta rays occasionally and then I saw this and I’m not sure what it was.

Shortly after I saw a whale ahead on the starboard side of the boat. I slowed the engine down because I was pretty close to where I had seen him. Next thing I know I see the water boil on the port side of the boat and as I looked down all I could see was the white from the belly of the whale that appeared to be as long as my boat. I tried to take a picture but you really can’t see him. That got my heart racing!!

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful and it was an awesome ride into La Paz. I could see sailboats anchored in little small bays along the coastline and numerous fishing boats. I’m here at the Costa Baja marina for a week and will hopefully finally get my radar installed on Monday. I need to get some better snorkeling gear and a shorty wetsuit and stock up on supplies for when I’m to head out for a couple of weeks on the hook. For some reason I’m having trouble with phone calls here so I’ll have to check up on that as well. The marina is about 4 miles from La Paz but there is a shuttle that runs into town and I’m planning on heading there later on this afternoon.  Hope everyone is doing well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s