Countdown

Buenos noches from Marina de la Cortez in La Paz. I’ve been slowly but surely acquiring all my necessities.  Propane tanks topped off, diesel and gasoline full, new flippers and a new mask acquired and a couple of tarps to hopefully create more shade and less heat in the boat during the day. Starting to get toasty if there isn’t any kind of breeze. The marina I’m at is where I’ll stay whenever I’m in port in La Paz. It’s within walking distance of anything I need and there are several really good restaurants right where you walk off the docks. Ended my American food boycott since I left the states in December a couple of nights ago with a Blue Cheese Hamburger and a Pepperoni Pizza the next night. Heres the view from the restaurant.20160227_175937And here’s the burger.20160227_182649

I’m really enjoying when I go out and meet the locals in La Paz. So many of them want to learn English and are very enthusiastic about trying to learn a few words from me while I learn some correct pronunciation and words and phrases from them. I really can’t say enough about the Mexican people I’ve had the opportunity to get to know. I sense racism from time to time and it’s understandably so from my perspective. Most are warm and kind and very respectful. Sometimes I’ll meet people that spin me on my toes. I was in a chandlery looking for some of the things I needed the other day and Strawberry Fields by the Beatles started playing and the guy behind the counter not more than 30 yrs old that was helping me starting singing word for word. Turned out he’s a huge Beatles fan and thinks they are the greatest band ever. A guy I met in Ensenada could tell you what year and who the artist was for almost every song from the late 60’s to early 70’s. He had even gone to Paris to see the grave of Jim Morrison.

Tomorrow I’m in pursuit of a fishing rod. I’m planning on leaving here to head out to the islands early Thursday morning and have a goal of staying out for 3 weeks. I’m concerned with getting enough food onboard and if I can catch a fish or two it would help tremendously. I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to buy fish and hopefully shrimp from the local fisherman but I’m not exactly sure. This will be a good test run and hopefully I can get it refined to where I can stay out up to a month. If I ever pick back up my goal of going around the world it will be essential to be able to get the boat provisioned properly for staying out such long periods. Wednesday I’m heading to the Mega grocery store and will have the largest grocery bill I’ve probably ever had. I’ve got a refrigerator and a freezer but I’ve had the freezer turned down so low and have been using it as a fridge but that’s going to have to change I’m pretty sure. I’ll top off the water tanks Wednesday and head out Thursday to finally start doing what I came here to do and that’s cruise on the hook.

I’m in constant awe of the wildlife here. Everyday I see frigates, pelicans  and gulls riding the winds, fish in the water along the docks, a heron stalking his prey, hearing something feeding on the algae on the bottom of my boat at night and today a seal hopped up on a dock to work on his tan until he was ran off by the staff and a guy in a dinghy with a dog. I overheard a group of people say they had gone out to the other side of the bay and seen 3 whale sharks and that there was a large pod of bottlenose dolphins thrashing through the water. Below are some pictures of some of the wildlife.

I’ll update once more before I head out. No wifi or cellular out at the island. I do have unlimited texting via sat phone by clicking on this link  and using this number 881623460962. If you hadn’t noticed the sat phone which gives my gps location can be kind of finicky and shows me making numerous trips back and forth across land but I assure you that’s not the case so if I don’t respond immediately I might not have been able to get a steady signal for awhile. Talk soon!

14 thoughts on “Countdown

1. Bart says:

Enjoy reading about your daily adventures.

2. Jack says:

MET – I’m living vicariously through your fantastic adventure! And I’m jealous! Muy bien! Keep blogging mi amigo! JW

3. friedfish says:

Muy amable Jack! La agradezco mucho! 😉 Really looking forward to the next phase. Come see me and live some of it with me!

4. George says:

GPS position from satilite is probably right; it’s the chart, based on very old surveys, that is inaccurate. Have fun!

5. friedfish says:

No amigo if you look at my path for my GPS tracking it’s all over the place. Not my charting plotter but my IridiumGo sat phone GPS tracking 😉

6. Dawn says:

Sounds like everything is PEACHY King down there!! I am still GREEN with envy!! Take care and Keep enjoying!!

7. friedfish says:

I’m hoping this next part is the big Peachy King part! Hope you’re doing well to. Thank you ma’am for thinking of me and the kind thoughts!
    Warm regards 😉

8. Bart says:

Enjoy reading about your daily adventures.
    I just read on FB Dave Ketterer is in Cabo

9. Bart says:

Enjoying the daily blogs keep up the adventure.
    I read in FB that Dave Ketteter is in Cabo

• friedfish says:

Yo Bart! That was the day I left La Paz and went off the internet of things except for sat phone texting which is really iffy at times. Is he still in Cabo do you know? I just remembered he has a business down here. Thanks for the support. Give my regards to Vicky and the boys. Hope all is well with you!

• Bart says:

Sorry I’m late in response it’s been one of those working things. I’m sure Dave is gone but I didn’t know he had a business down there. I pray all is well for you and wish you smooth sailing. take care friend

• friedfish says:

No worries Bart! Thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers. You take care as well mi amigo! Always great to hear from you 😉

10. Robby says:

So Marty, It’s not a BIG MAC but it will do. Check your cellphone I sent you a message. I hope you enjoy it. Miss you Man.

• friedfish says:

Hey Robby! Man that’s going back quite a few years! Thanks for the memory. Miss you too buddy! Hope all is well with you and yours.